Monday, June 8, 2009

Louisville - Family Visit & Temple Service

On Friday, we headed to Louisville to spend the evening at my brother's house. Phillip brought his 3 oldest kids, Madalyn, Haley & Zach, to meet Osias, the girls and me at the movie theater. We saw the movie UP! The movie was good but not great. I actually got a little weepy in the beginning, but after that was bored. The kids were bored in the beginning, but liked the end. So, I guess there really was something for everyone. My favorite line of the whole movie is in the very beginning, when he 1st meets his soon to be wife. She has talked non-stop and the boy hasn't said a word. As she is leaving, she says, "You don't talk much. I like you." It just cracked me up.

After the movie, we headed to Phillip's to spend the night. The girls had a great time playing with their cousins. Samantha took this picture at 11:30pm, right before the kids all hit the sack.


Julia, Haley, Olivia, & Madalyn

On Saturday morning, we headed over to the Louisville Temple to do garden & yard work. It was a great opportunity for our family to do service and for the kids to begin to truly understand the imporantance of the temple. At one point, Julia said to me, "Why are we doing this?" I explained to her that this was Heavenly Father's house and that it needed to beautiful on the inside and out. I also told her that it was our responsibilty to keep it beautiful becasue Heavenly Father was too busy taking care of people. Julia's response: "I'm not his servant!" So, I was able to take the opportunity to explain to her that we are in fact his servants, whether we are doing physical labor, spiritual labor, or emotional service. It is so wonderful to have small teaching moments with your children. Hopefully, someday all the girls will look back and understand why working at the temple on a hot Saturday was important.














When we left Louisville, we had to stop in Lexington before heading home. We thought how better to cap off a great day than eating at Five Guys. We met my Mom & Dad at the restaurant on Nicholasville Road. Besides the long line to order, the food was delicious!!!!! The sign below says it all:




What a fantastic day we had! We had sweet moments with our children doing service for our Heavenly Father and teaching a little along the way. Hopefully, there will be many more days just like this one.

5 comments:

Don and Robin Cooper said...

I love that you took them to help on the Temple grounds! Teaching moments are everywhere! I have never heard or ate at Five Guys...I'll have to try it! Miss you guys!

Nikki A. said...

What a great experience! I love Julia's comments. She sure says what everyone else is thinking, lol. Don't you just love Five Guys fries? They are my favorite anywhere!!!! Glad you had a special day :)

The Mostess said...

I want to try one of those burgers!

Linda@SurfandSweetgrass said...

What a great weekend! Love Julia's little comment...at least you know she'll never be anyone's doormat. Thanks for sharing and helping to make our temple so pretty! (I'm totally with you on 5 guys..)

Laura said...

That looks so fun. What a great lesson you are teaching your kids. :)